There was a week recently that felt really tough. My mind wasn’t peaceful at all. The negative thoughts seemed more prominent, affecting
me when they normally wouldn’t. I was sort of okay with it, knowing there was a reason AND that I would find my peace again. I just needed to keep up my usual practices. All was okay.
This same week I saw a couple of clients who felt they had gone backwards in their progress. They had been enjoying a stronger connection with themselves, increased happiness and peace and then for some reason it had seemingly vanished out of nowhere.
Sometimes I get asked; “What am I doing wrong”, or, “I’m back where I was before, I am just not getting this”.
My reply is NO NO NO!!! (Different to Ho Ho Ho! But it does come with a gift!) You see, thinking you are doing something wrong or that you have gone backwards can be enough to cause it to happen, which then makes those statements true.
This is the bit we need to STOP!
Here is the gift – Be Kind To You and you will get your peace and connection back.
When you feel your connection to you is gone, don’t go down the destructive path described above. Instead see it as a signpost alerting you to take notice and take action.
As soon as the “I’m no good, I can’t do this” or “I am back where I was before” starts, follow the steps below and you will get yourself back to exactly where you want. Hold strong in the positive – don’t bring yourself down. Make sense?
Here are five steps to help you out.
- See the signpost and pay attention – I am not in the feeling place I want, what is going on? When you answer this question stick to the facts without emotion, the same way you would when you realise you are out of milk.
- Ask yourself; do I need to do something external to change the situation? This may involve taking some time off work, talking to someone about their behaviour towards you, saying no to a situation, or any number of scenarios like this.
- If you decide there is something you will do externally then take action. If there is not or you choose not to take external action, then it is time to look within, asking, “what can I do inside me to restore the feeling I want right now?” The first step I would suggest is to get clear about what the feeling is that you want and what it would feel like (for more about this read here).
- Give yourself TIME to implement. If it doesn’t happen straight away stick with it and KNOW you will, instead of thinking “I’ve gone backwards, I’ll never get the feeling back” . Be kind to yourself, connect with what you KNOW about you and relax. This alone is sure to speed the process up.
- Finally and maybe the most important is to celebrate any little success. As soon as you notice the feeling you want in a small way celebrate it by acknowledging it and paying it attention. This quickly leads to more of that feeling as the unconscious responds to the attention you give it. This is the same reason why you get more of what you don’t want when you pay attention to having what you don’t want.
You know that as we continue along your journey you will hit speed humps or happenings that require continued growth. This is a given. By following the above 5 steps, rather than feeling you have lost it all, will make the road smoother and when you do get off track, the path back is much shorter.
I would love to hear from you. Comment below and tell me what you do when you feel you are off course? Or what step above really resonates with you and how will you put it into action?
Have a great week